LL-L: "Double negative" [A/E] LOWLANDS-L, 15.SEP.1999 (04)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 14:51:08 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.SEP.1999 (04) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ted Harding [Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk]
Subject: Double negative

There is an interesting inverse relationship between the usually
"ungrammatical" use of double negative in Germanic/English languages
and the ungrammatical use of "simple" negative in French.

In English, "I did nothing this morning" is correct, while "I didn't
do nothing this morning" is considered incorrect though not uncommon in
"uneducated" speech.

In French, "ne ... rien" (and similar constructions) is strictly and
rigidly enforced in the official grammar of the language. Therefore
"Je n'ai rien fait ce matin" is the only strictly correct form.

Nevertheless, in casual speech, even by educated people, the form
"J'ai rien fait ce matin" occurs quite frequently.

Ted.