LL-L: "Delectables" [E/S] LOWLANDS-L, 28.SEP.1999 (03)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 22:28:12 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.SEP.1999 (03) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
Subject: "Delectables"

> From: Anja Meyfarth [AMeyfarth at t-online.de]
> Subject: sweet, soft and lazy
>
> I am just sitting in front of the computer munching McCowan`s
> Highland Fudge.
> It`s awfully expensive, but - hmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! - it`s great because it`s
> not so oversweet as it is in Germany. But my question is: How
> typical are fudge
> and toffee for Scotland? Are they made by grandmothers to enjoy their
> grandchildren? Is there a tradition, what occasion(s) they are made for?
> I know, in Sweden they is a tradition of making some special
> sorts of sweets
> for christmas. Is there anything alike that somewhere else in the Lowland?
> Recipts are very welcome!

Fudge and toffee are made everywhere in Britain. Fudge tastes the same
everywhere unless it's flavoured! The quintessentially Scottish
milk-and-sugar bar is "tablet" ("taiblet" in Scots), which is crunchy and
melts quickly in the mouth. We used to make our own toffee and tablet,
usually in a frying pan on the cooker for quick results or in a baking tray
in the oven for quality - it's a long time since I've done that, though! The
process for making tablet is the same as toffee but the temperature quite
low - boiling down milk and plenty of sugar in a pan until it turns light
brown and grainy should do it. Then leave it to cool and cut it into squares
or bars when almost set. You might want to add a few drops of vanilla or
something.

I think Puff Candy is also especially Scottish, though you can by it
everywhere now as "honeycomb candy". I think this may have been the original
"Coulter's Candy" of the song. In Scotland different towns tend to have
their own speciality sweets named after them, e.g.:

Berwick Cockles (pronounced "Berry Cockles")
Hawick Baas (Hawick Balls)
Edinburgh Rock (this is unbelievably good, but you must clean your teeth
immediately after or it's bye-bye enamel!)

Others famous all over Scotland are:

Granny Sookers (very sour)
Toffee Doddles (made of hard, glassy toffee)

And many others whose names I can't recall just offhand.

I was in Peebles (a Scottish town) recently and noticed that they had
several huge shops devoted entirely to sweets - inside there were mountains
of sweets and you could by them ready-packed in huge bags like potato sacks!

This song is used to quieten children when they're crying:

Ally-bally, ally-bally-bee,
Sittin on yer mammy's knee,
Greetin for a wee bawbee,
Tae buy some Coulter's Candy!