LL-L: "Folklore" (was "Literature") LOWLANDS-L, 19.DEC.2000 (03) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 19 22:22:09 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.DEC.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Literature"

> From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
> Subject: Online resources

> A Low Saxon (Low German) Lullaby
> 'n Neddersassisch (nedderdüütsch) Wegenleed
> (Georg Paysen Petersen, _Kiekinnewelt: Plattdeutsches Familienbuch_,
> Dresden: Gerhard
> Kühtmann, 1905)
>
> Weegenleed
>
>    Eiapopeia, polei!
>    Liggst as 'n Prinz inne Dei,
>    Kikst ut de Ogen so hell un so stumm;
>    Buten geiht liesen de Sandmann herum,
>    Keem ok un frag all na di;
>    Eipopeia, wiwi!

It's interesting to see the "Sandman" mentioned in a Low Saxon
lullaby. When I was an infant my father told me at night that
the Sandman would come and sprinkle sand in my eyes to make me
sleep. Then in the morning I would indeed awake to find the sand
in my eyes! I'm sure this idea was well-known in my area (East
Lothian, in south east Scotland), and when I lived in south Wales
I was surprised to find that people had never heard of it. I
asked a sample of people in work today about this, and here are
the findings (from one person from each area):

South East Scotland (me): Sandman sprinkles sand in your eyes to make you
sleep.
West of Scotland (Paisley): The Sandman "will get you" if you don't go
straight to sleep.
South Wales (Cwmbrân): never heard of him.
North of England (Hull): only heard of him from the American song.
London: only heard of him from the American song.
South West of England (Devon): Sandman sprinkles sand in your eyes to make
you sleep.

Until I discovered the Devon man who said it was part of his
family tradition, I thought I'd hit on something that was
perhaps propagated from North Germany to Scotland - however
it seems it's not as simple as that.

Does anyone know what the actual geographical distribution of this
legend is?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he
On nae accoont wad ever tell a lee.
                          - C.W.Wade,
                    'The Adventures o McNab'

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Folklore

Sandy, you wrote:

> South East Scotland (me): Sandman sprinkles sand in your eyes to make you
> sleep.
<...>
> South West of England (Devon): Sandman sprinkles sand in your eyes to
> make you sleep.

This is the version I learned as a child.  Our Sandman is kindly, never
threatening.  I am rarely totally sure if the stories I was told as a small
child belonged to the folklore of our area, because my story-telling
grandmother was from a German-Sorbian (German-Lusatian) contact area and
passed on some folklore that was basically Western Slavic.  This version of
the Sandman story, though, seems to be current in Northern Germany and
apparently throughout Germany, also in the Netherlands.  I believe it is
spread even farther that this, but I am not sure.

The _Sandmännchen_ is one of the oldest characters, if not *the* oldest
character, in Germany's children's TV.  If I remember correctly, a TV series
is named after it, the TV-era version of beddy-bye story-time for German
children.  I believe it is still running (since the 1950's?).

There is a famous German Sandman song:

Das Sandmännchen
(Folksong, score set by Johannes Brahms (1833-1897))

Die Blümelein, sie schlafen
schon längst im Mondenschein,
sie nicken mit den Köpfen
auf ihren Stengelein.
Es rüttelt sich der Blütenbaum,
es säuselt wie im Traum:
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!
Das Heimchen in dem Ährengrund,
es tut allein sich kund:
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!
Und wo es nur ein Kindchen fand,
streut er ihm in die Augen Sand.
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!
Es leuchtet morgen mir Willkomm
das Äugelein so fromm!
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!

Die Vögelein sie sangen
so süß im Sonnenschein,
sie sind zur Ruh gegangen
in ihre Nestchen klein.
Es rüttelt sich der Blütenbaum,
es säuselt wie im Traum:
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!
Das Heimchen in dem Ährengrund,
es tut allein sich kund:
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!
Und wo es nur ein Kindchen fand,
streut er ihm in die Augen Sand.
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!
Es leuchtet morgen mir Willkomm
das Äugelein so fromm!
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!

Sandmännchen kommt geschlichen
und guckt durchs Fensterlein,
ob irgend noch ein Liebchen
nicht mag zu Bette sein.
Es rüttelt sich der Blütenbaum,
es säuselt wie im Traum:
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!
Das Heimchen in dem Ährengrund,
es tut allein sich kund:
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!
Und wo es nur ein Kindchen fand,
streut er ihm in die Augen Sand.
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!
Es leuchtet morgen mir Willkomm
das Äugelein so fromm!
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!

Sandmännchen aus dem Zimmer,
es schläft mein Herzchen fein,
es ist gar fest verschlossen
schon sein Guckäugelein.
Es rüttelt sich der Blütenbaum,
es säuselt wie im Traum:
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!
Das Heimchen in dem Ährengrund,
es tut allein sich kund:
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!
Und wo es nur ein Kindchen fand,
streut er ihm in die Augen Sand.
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!
Es leuchtet morgen mir Willkomm
das Äugelein so fromm!
Schlafe, schlafe, schlaf du, meine Kindelein!

Dutch Version:

Het Zandmannetje

De bloempjes gingen slapen, zij waren geurensmoe.
Zij knikten met hun kopjes m'een welterusten toe.
Zacht ritselt gindsche lideboom
en lispt als in den droom: Goeden nacht,
Goeden nacht, mijn kindje, goeden nacht.

De vogels zongen vroolijk door 't zonnetje gekust.
Nu vouwen zij hun vleugels. Begeven zich ter rust.
Alleen het krekelj'in het veld
zijn zoet geheim vertelt: goeden nacht,
goeden nacht, mijn kindje, goeden nacht.

De zandman is gekomen, gluurt door de schemering
of ergens soms een kindje nog niet ter ruste ging.
En ziet hij zulk een stouten klant,
hij strooit in d'oogjes zand. goeden nacht,
goeden nacht, mijn kindje, goeden nacht.

Ga zandman uit de kamer. Reeds slaapt mijn kleine man
Hij sloot de held're kijkers zoo vast als hij maar kan.
En roept mij morgen wel te moe
een hart'lijk welkom toe. goeden nacht
goeden nacht, mijn kindje goeden nacht

***

Could your Scottish version have a Dutch or Low Saxon (Low German) connection?