LL-L: "Language policies" LOWLANDS-L, 15.FEB.2000 (04) [D/E/French]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 21:05:59 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.FEB.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Roger P. G. Thijs [roger.thijs at village.uunet.be]
Subject: LL-L: "Language policies" LOWLANDS-L, 15.FEB.2000 (02) [D/E]

> From: Stefaan Vermeire [stefaan.vermeire at advalvas.be]
> Subject:  LL-L: "Language policies" LOWLANDS-L, 14.FEB.2000 (02) [E]
> Weet jij soms waar ik een exemplaartje van dat leerpakket "Limburgse
> streektaal" op de kop zou kunnen tikken?

Provincie Limburg
5de Directie "Cultuur"
Afdeling 5.2 "Cultuur en Bibliotheekwezen"
Mevr. Eef Proesmans
Universiteitslaan 1
B 3500 Hasselt

cb at limburg.be
tel +32-11-23.75.55  (direct 23.75.34)
fax +32-11-23.75.10

De juiste titel:

Rob Belemans & Jos van Thienen,
Creatief lespakket voor de tweede en derde graad van het secundair onderwijs
"Ich kal ooch Limburgs"
    90 pp in Din A4
    2 losse kaarten in Din A2
    stickers "ich kal ooch Limburgs" (met varianten)

Gezien er een nieuwe druk gepland is, zal de voorraad wel sterk beperkt
zijn. Gelieve daarom goed te motiveren bij uw aanvraag.

Groetjes,
Roger

---------

From: Stefaan Vermeire [stefaan.vermeire at advalvas.be]

For the situation of Dutch in the North of France (or "South Flanders", also
"French Flanders") see:

http://www.multimania.com/mdsk

the webside of the "Michiel de Swaenkring" / "Cercle Michel de Swaen",
information in Dutch and French, with also some interesting links.

Like Roger wrote, until now French is indeed the only official language of
the French Republic (decision of May 20, '99 of the constitutional court).
France has signed the European charter on the minority languages, but
without changing its constitution in which we can still found (article 2):
"la langue de la République est le français" (the language of the Republic
is French). There has been a proposal to add "in respect of the other
regional languages", but it was not accepted finally.

Dutch is teached as a foreign language in several schools (for many native
Flemish speakers of France "standard Dutch" sounds very strange, not to say
almost like another language - most of these people don't consider it as the
cultural form of their own dialect). In cities near to the Flemish-Belgian
border, primary and high schools (in French Menen (Menin), Zuid-Wervik
(Wervicq-sud), Halewijn (Halluin), Neerwaasten (Bas-Warneton)) have included
an important Dutch language program, since the knowledge of Dutch makes it
possible to find a good job on the other side of the border (region around
Kortrijk, surnamed "Texas of Flanders"). In other cities (Belle (Bailleul),
Hazebroek (Hazebrouck), Kassel (Cassel): also in other places, but I am not
so sure) it is given in several primary schools, but not in the high
schools.

The language course of dialect (Flemish dialect, local expression) are
mainly private initiatives, related with an interest in the local Flemish
folklore (music, dance, and folk theatre, the latter still very popular in
French-Flanders).

Other minority languages have been recognized, I think so - correct me if I
should be wrong - as regional languages for educational purpose: Brittan and
German. I don't think that other languages (Occitan, Bask, Italian or
Catalan) have been included in this regulation.

> I guess Dutch/Flemish is in the official list since it is sufficiently
> different from French for not being classified as a romance dialect. The
> real issue, I think, is: you hardly find anybody below 50 who is still
> speaking it.

Indeed, but at a certain moment (before WW I) the French republican
politicians considered it as a "French dialect with important Germanic
influences"...

There is a rather special evolution in the North of France: on one hand we
can observe that Dutch in its local spoken form (Flemish) is disappearing,
but on the other we see a more than lively interest in the own Flemish
culture (history, dance, music, Dutch language, etc.) and also the
"re-found" Flemish identity (I have met several young French speakers who
considered themself to be Flemings - this is a cultural identity, since they
don't object against their French citizenship). The latter is very strong in
a city like Rijsel (Lille).

Stefaan R.W. VERMEIRE.