LL-L: "Plautdietsch" LOWLANDS-L, 6.JUL.2000 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 03:19:56 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 6.JUL.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Reuben Epp [repp at silk.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Plautdietsch" 06.JUL.2000 (03) [E]

> From: Plautdietsch at aol.com
> Subject: LL-L: "Plautdietsch" 06.JUL.2000 (02) [E]
>
> Dear Ron, Georg, Criostoir and other Lowlanders,
>
> since I don't read my Lowland-L mail on a daily basis I was surprised to
> read
> so "much" about Plautdietsch - great! As Reuben Epp already mentioned,
> there
> are MANY Plautdietsch speaking Russian German Mennonites here in Germany.
> But, they are just a tiny part of the more than 2 million "Aussiedler" who
> emigrated from the former Soviet Union, I'm one of them.
> Regards,
> Peter Wiens
> www.uni-bielefeld.de/pwiens/paita.html

As addendum to the comments by  Peter Wiens,
Reuben Epp writes:

I would add that according to the book "from Catherine
to Khruschev " (The Story of Russia's Germans) by
Adam Giesinger, published by American Historical
Society of Germans from Russia, Lincoln, Nebraska,
1981, 443 pages, Giesinger quotes the population of
Germans in all of Russia for 1970 as 1,846,000.

This would presumably include Plautdietsch and German
-speaking Mennonites whose total population in Russia
at any one time probably never exceeded 120,000, the
majority of whom have in recent decades settled into
Germany. Accurate figures are hard to determine.

Cheers!

Reuben Epp