LL-L: "Historical phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 02.MAY.2000 (15) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 00:01:22 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.MAY.2000 (15) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Historical phonology

Andrew:

The English cognate of the "buy" words is "cheap" not "shop".

"Shop" is cognate with G. "Schuppen" and E. dialect "shippon", "shippen", a
barn or cowshed, and probably ultimately "sheaf", because bundles of straw
were used as roofing.

John Feather
johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

----------

From: Jim Gretch [jgretch at ugf.edu]
Subject: LL-L: "Historical phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 02.MAY.2000 (03) [E]

Andrew Saffrey wrote:

>kupiti [Czech] kauffen [Ger], oankeapje [Fri], kopen [Du], købe [Dan], köpa
>[Swe], kjøpe [Nor] goes to Shop in English (?)
<snip>
>PS Strictly kopen is to buy, but nevertheless there is some sort of
>similarlity

This is a common phenomenon in early (southern) English, where Germanic
[k] was often palatized to [tS] ("ch") near front vowels.

Examples:   Kinn -> chin
                  Käse -> cheese
                  kaufen -> cheap (and the name "Chapman")

Another interesting example would be the dialect usage in
Shakespeare's King Lear, where Edgar uses "'Chill be plain
with you" for "I will be plain with you."  (I.e. "'chill" short for "Ich
will,"
where "Ich" is pronounced [ItS], presumably palatized from an
earlier [Ik].)

I once read somewhere that such usages as "cham" for "I am" and
"chuld" for "I would" were still found in Somerset (Southern England)
as recently as the early 1900's.  Perhaps they might still be heard
today in rural settings?

It's also interesting that a similar phenomenon has occured in
Mennonite Plautdietsch in the last several centuries, though it's
unclear what has caused that process.

Jim Gretch
University of Great Falls
Great Falls, Montana

----------

From: Jim Gretch [jgretch at ugf.edu]

From: Stephen Israel [sisrael at imap.pitt.edu]

Andrew Saffrey asked about the correspondence of k and sh in various
Germanic languages.

The "buy" word is a misleading example for that--- it's from Latin "caupo"
("innkeeper" originally, I believe, but I don't have my books at hand), and
from this very early borrowing then comes German _kaufen_, Low German/Dutch
_kopen_, Swedish _köpa_ (pronounced  shwo"pa), and English _cheap_ and
_chapman_.   I don't know the origin of _shop_, but it is unlikely to have
any relationship to the -caup- words.

The Lowland languages did, tho, all palatalize k (and sometimes g) next to
the "bright" vowels (i, e, ae) circa 300 AD:   *kaasi > Engl. cheese, Fris.
tsjese, Old Low German kiesi  (the first -i- marks the palatalization);
*kirkia > Engl. church, Fris. tsjurke, but Scots kirk.

The Scandinavian languages  did much the same thing but independently, 900+
years later.  This kind of palatalizing is very common in languages of the
world.   Danish and Low German gave up this palatalization under High
German influence, but there are still traces of it, e.g. Platt Zever, High
German Kaefer "beetle",  (English chafer, if I recall correctly).   Scots
(as opposed to Scots Gaelic) seems to have given up palatalization under
Norwegian Viking influence (it would be centuries more before Scandinavians
began palatalizing).

> In my experience during learning Dutch I've noticed on a number of
> occasions that there seems to be a k to sh "transition" perhaps via Norse
> from Dutch kopen into shop (vb) (strictly to buy); and kort into short. I
> know that when the Norsemen and the Danes controlled much of Northern and
> Eastern England, place names with ch and sh became k and sk respectively.
> Could there be some similar explanation?

Stefan Israe!
sisrael at imap.pitt.edu