LL-L: "Mythology" LOWLANDS-L, 05.OCT.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 5 15:22:34 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.OCT.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: david strommen [si00924 at navix.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Mythology" (was "Help needed") LOWLANDS-L,04.OCT.2000 (02) [E]

Moin everyone,
In Norwegian we have a female mythical creature called a "huldra" or "huldre"
who
is very beautiful and lures men to fall in love with her.  After the marriage
it
is too late for escape and she takes him away to the underworld.  She can be
found
out by lifting her skirt to see if she is sporting a cow's tail.  I wonder if
her
name is connected to the elder tree also?  But in my grandparents day to call
someone a huldra was quite a statement indeed.
Greetings
David