LL-L: "Resources" LOWLANDS-L, 27.JUL.2001 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 23:11:38 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JUL.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

The new and improved _Ethnologue_ is out!  As usual, there is an online
version (http://www.sil.org/ethnologue/).

I am happy to note that previous misclassifications and the like have been
corrected, and by names mentioned I noticed that Lowlands-L and Plautdietsch-L
had a hand or two in it.  A few errors and omissions remain.  I already
pointed out to the good folks that "PLATTDNNTSCH, NEDDERDNNTSCH" should be
"PLATTDÜÜTSCH, NEDDERDÜÜTSCH" under "Low Saxon" in the section "Germany".
Later I noticed that under "Germany" and "ROMANI, SINTE" there is another
error: the alternative name "ZIGUENER" should read "ZIGEUNER", better
"ZIGEUNERISCH".

More importantly, I see no trace of Limburgish under "Belgium", "Germany" and
"Netherlands".  As far as I know, it is now an official regional language in
the Netherlands.  I suggest our Limburgish-speaking subscribers of Lowlands-L
contact the Ethnologue folks (www at sil.org) and help them get this right.
Also, our Zeelandic (Zeeuws) friends might like to be represented.

Ian will be happy that Ulster Scots (Ullans) is listed as a part of Scots.