LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 29.JUL.2001 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 29 18:16:49 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUL.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian, L=Limburgish

From: frank verhoft <frank_verhoft at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Beste Ron, Beste Laaglanders

Ron asked (Sunday, July 29, 2001):
"I am wondering about the etymology of the Dutch word
_ouderwets_ and the West(erlauwers) Frisian cognate
_âlderwetsk_, both meaning 'oldfashioned'.
Clearly, _ouder..._ and _âlder..._ are derived from
(_old_ >) _oud_ and _âld_ 'old'.  But what about the
rest of these words?  I assume the presence of the
manner suffix (_-sch_ >) _-s_ and _-sk_ (cognates of
English _ish_, Low Saxon _-sch_ and German _-isch_).
This would leave a supposed word _wet_.  Might this be
_wet_ 'law', 'rule', 'statute'?  I guess it would make
sense: "in the manner/way of old rules.""

Etymologically _ouderwets_ (1622) indeed refers to the
law, probably the Old Testament.
Which doesn't mean that the word _nieuwerwets_
(1684)refers to the New Testament :).
(from: Van Dale Etymologisch woordenboek).

I hope this little piece of the puzzle can help a bit.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Frank Verhoft