LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 29.JUL.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 00:43:23 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JUL.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian, L=Limburgish

From: "Aviad Stier" <aviad2001 at hotmail.com>
Subject: Pennsylvania Dutch

Hi All!
I'm sure that's a question that was asked many times, but not while I was
around. What exactly is Pennsylvania Dutch? I mean, I always had the notion

that it was a variety of English, with some German influence ("Dutch"
stemming from "Deutch"), but then an American friend who's from that
region,
claimed that it's the contrary - a German dialect. He said he had heard it
on the radio and seen publications written in Pennsylvania Dutch, and that
is was German (he speaks German very well). While we were arguing, a
colleague of mine, who's Flemish, said HE had heard it spoken and could
easily understand what was said, and therefore deduced it was actually
Dutch. Can anyone clarify this? Also, I tried to find on the internet some
written texts, so that I could see and judge for myself, but I couldn't
find
anything. Does anyone know a site where I might be able to see some written

Pennsylvania Dutch?
Cheers,
Aviad Stier,
Brussels