LL-L "Place names" 2000.10.20 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 00:03:39 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.OCT.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Subject: "Camp" in Scots

Greetings all!

On a promontory called Burdon Ness in Scotland, where the Firth of Tay
meets open sea, is an area of land called Barry Camp.

(This came to my notice as the location of the earliest known case of
the horse disease called "Grass Sickness" in Britain, recorded in the
early years of the 20th century).

Looking it up on the map, I became puzzled by the word "Camp" in the
name. There is no obvious association with the sense of military camp,
camping-ground, tents, etc.

Nearby is another area of land called Buddon Camp, at the Western end of
Buddon Ness.

 From the map, the whole promontory looks like a large rather flat area
of rough pasture and sand dunes, and neither Barry Camp nor Buddon Camp
seem to have any special features.

So I began to wonder if there was a Scots sense of "Camp", with a
meaning somehow cognate to field/moor/pasture ...

The Concise Scots Dictionary gives no such meaning of "Camp". I
speculated that there might be a relationship with French "Champ", and
indeed the CSD gives a meaning for the noun "champ": "A stretch of muddy
trodden ground", but this may be derived from the verb "champ":
"trample, crush, pound, mash." [CSD], which does not seem to be what's
wanted.

So can anyone throw light on this?

Or is there simply some historical link with "camp" in the ordinary or
military sense (e.g. going back to Napoleon's time)?
With thanks, and best wishes to all,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972