LL-L "Etymology" 2002.04.27 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 27 16:16:07 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.APR.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Colin Wilson" <lcwilson at starmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.04.25 (01) [E/LS]

>From: Ole Stig Andersen <osa at olestig.dk>
>Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.04.24 (04) [E]
>
>2) preparedness for shifts in meaning. e. g the word "queen" which means
>"female king" in English, "girl" in Scots ( I hope!) and "woman" in
>Scandinavian.

In Scots, we distinguish between "queen" which means the same
as in English, and "quine" which means girl, although it's fairly
well known that the two are connected etymologically.

In the 1970s, the comedian Steven Robertson used to do a monologue
which took the form of his "end" of a supposed telephone conversation
with Queen Elizabeth. It drew gales of laughter when he addressed her
as "quine".

Goodwill to all,

Colin Wilson.