LL-L "Adminstrativa" 2002.08.11 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 11 22:27:17 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.AUG.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

So you won't discuss amongst yourselves when Daddy isn't home, huh?  ;)

Anyway, as you can see, I am back in the saddle.  Thanks to all of you
who wrote to me to wish me well.  I got a few personal messages that
really touched me deeply.

My surgery went very well.  We will know more after the bandage comes
off a week from Monday, and the last word will be spoken after a hearing
test in a few weeks.  At least the anesthetics seem to have worn off
now, at least most of them, and I no longer need to take mind-altering
pain medication.  So I feel reasonably confident I won't commit too many
errors back at the steering wheel.  Thanks to Sandy Fleming and Mathieu
van Woerkom who were on guard duty during my brief absence.

Since the previous administrative message on Friday morning, several
more people have joined us, and I would like to welcome them on behalf
of the entire List.  They come from the following places:

Australia:
   Victoria:
      Melbourne [1]
Belgium:
   Brabant Wallon:
      Louvain-la-Neuve [1]
   Vlaams-Brabant:
      Brussels [1]
Brazil:
   Rio de Janeiro:
      Rio de Janeiro [1]
Canada:
   British Columbia:
      Kelowna [1]
   Manitoba:
      Steinbach [1]
   Ontario:
      Thunder Bay [1]
Indonesia:
   Central Java:
      Purwokerto [1]
Spain:
   Viscaya:
      Bilbao [1]
United Kingdom:
   Wales:
      South Wales:
         Swansea [1]
United States of America:
   California:
      West Hollywood [1]
   Colorado:
      Denver [1]
   Illinois:
      Joliet [1]
   Kansas:
      Goessel [1]
   Utah:
      Ogden [1]
   ? [4]

I would like to point out to them, actually to everyone, that the most
important URLs and the administrative email address appear in the
masthead of each issue.  It is most important that all of you are
familiar with the rules and guidelines or at least refer to them
whenever in doubt.

If the rate of new subscriptions continues, we should reach the 400
point this week of the following week.

One returning subscriber kindly congratulated us on our new website
look.  I herewith pass it on to Mathieu van Woerkom.  He created it,
though with consideration to my wishes and suggestions.  Please check it
out if you have not already done so.

Several of us are working on "Lowlands Talk," a series of brief
introductions to the Lowlands language varieties, along with maps and
language samples.  There are "main blurbs" for the "languages" and
"sub-blurbs" for subordinate varieties ("dialects").  "Blurbs" follow a
general common format, while "sub-blurbs" are free-style and may also be
used to deal with other aspects of language, or of culture or history,
yes, including such things as folklore, dress or architecture.  None of
these pieces is supposed to be long.  We could still use some help with
this project, both by writers and by translators.  No, you do not need
to be academics for us to accept your help.  We are currently in
particular need of people who can translate the blurbs into French,
because our French translation volunteer appears to have abandoned us.
We could also use some help with Spanish and Portuguese translations.
If you do not have enough time for translating you may consider doing
proofreading of the French translations made by people who do not use
French, Spanish or Portuguese as their first languages.  Also, we could
do with volunteer blurb writers for Afrikaans, Dutch, English, Zeelandic
(Zeêuws) and contact languages.  "Contact languages" can be either
pidgins or creoles, or they can be Lowlandic varieties on non-Lowlandic
substrates (e.g., Lowlands Saxon in previously Slavic areas, or English
with Celtic substrates, for instance in Wales, Man, Cornwall, Scotland
or Ireland, or English with French substrates in the Channel Islands, in
Louisiana or Eastern Canada), non-Lowlandic varieties on Lowlandic
substrates (e.g., Lowlands Saxon in Missingsch German, Flemish in
Westhoek French, or English in Spanish of the southwestern USA), or
Lowlandic varieties on substrates of other Lowlandic varieties (e.g.
Dutch/Frisian in Westfries).  We can also accommodate Lowlands-focused
sub-blurbs about border or transitional varieties such as Southern
Jutish (Sønderjysk), or about Lowlandic influences on other languages
(e.g., Lowlands Saxon influences in Scandinavian, Finnic, Kashubian,
Baltic and/or Russian).  It would also be all right to write sub-blurbs
about language policies or orthography.  All of the above are topics
people want to read about, which is what I have been gathering over the
years from email messages visitors to our websites have sent me.

Anyone who wishes to join the international team that is working on this
global educational project, or anyone who wishes to know more about what
is involved, please write to me at <sassisch at yahoo.com>.

'n Goden Wind in Juun Sails!  And keep the postings coming!

Thanks and regards,
Reinhard "Ron" Hahn