LL-L "Resources" 2002.08.13 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 14 05:38:50 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.AUG.2002 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>

From: "Black Cat 20" <black_cat_20 at hotmail.com>
Subject: learning mennonite

Hello all.

I am a fairly new member to lowlands-l, and I joined because I wanted to
learn how to speak Mennonite Low-German. I am an ethnic Mennonite, but
was
raised away from my grandparents, whom all speak Low-German. I was
wondering
if anyone knew where I could go to find books and maybe audio tapes to
teach
myself Low-German? Also, some books on Mennonite history and culture. I
have
found some sites on-line, but I still crave more info. If anyone could
help
me out, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Amanda
[Amanda Reimer]

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Hi, Amanda!  Welcome to Lowlands-L, and congrats on your first posting!

Just to start with, let me point out two lists we are compiling (as an
onging project).  (Actually, I noticed it needs revamping because some
links have died.)  You can access them by going to our homepage
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/) and letting the curser rest on "Resources"
in the top panel.  If you choose "Links" you can then choose a "Low
Saxon (Low German)" list of links, and many of those links should be
really helpful for you, especially "Kjenn Jie noch Plautdietsch? : a
Mennonite Low German dictionary," an online resource provided by Herman
Rempel (Canada).  You will also find a link to the website of
"Plautdietsch Frind," a very attractive, useful and definitely
collectible periodical published for a global readership by Peter Wiens
and the Plautdietsch-Freunde e.V. in Germany.

You can find a list of offline material (books, CDs, etc.) if you choose
"Offline Material" under "Resources."  The Low Saxon list is divided
into three sections: "General", "Pre-Modern" and "Modern".  In the
latter, you will find the section "Modern Low Saxon around the world,"
and in it are several books about Plautdietsch.

Amanda, I very strongly recommend the following book as a more than
adequate introduction for anyone even halfway interested in Mennonite
Low Saxon.  It is written by one of our long-standing members and an
authority on Plautdietsch, Reuben Epp (Kelowna, British Columbia):

   Epp, Reuben (1993); The Story of Low German & Plautdietsch: tracing
     a language across the globe; Hillsboro (USA): The Reader's Press
     <psdirect at southwind.net>; ISBN 0-9638494-0-9. (Contains an
     excellent introduction to the history and spread of the language,
     in English)

Since you seem to be serious about learning not only the language but
also its history and cultural environment, I further recommend reading
about the entire Low(lands) Saxon ("Low German") language of which
Plautdietsch represents only one branch.

I am sure that some of our members have further suggestions for you,
hopefully also about sound recordings.

All the best!