LL-L "Phonology" 2002.08.25 (05) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 25 21:40:14 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.AUG.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>, Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>

From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: Language varieties

Ron, Leeglanners,

vonnobend heff'ck siet lange Tieden mool weller'n Kattuul, " Tyto alba",
(U.G.) "Schleiereule" ["Katzeneule"], (E) "Barn owl", (D) "Kerkuil"
saeihn.

Door full mi bie opp: in uus Mundoort waard de tweite Silbe betont, un'
de
Vaogel haeit *Katt-ùùl*.
Datt geiht'n lütt beeten tomööt mien "Taktgefööl" föör uus Sprook, or
denk'
ick door tau Hauchdüütsch?

Greutens

Fiete.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Fiete,

Weetst noch annere tosamensette Nomen (Höövtwöörd'), de in Dien Dialekt
up de tweede Deel betoond wardt?

Lowlanders,

Above, Fiete pointed out that in the case of the compound noun _Kattuul_
(_Katt_ 'cat' + _Uul_ 'owl') 'barn owl' the second rather than the first
part has primary stress in his Lower Elbe Lowlands Saxon (Low German)
dialect.  (As most of you know, the typical Germanic pattern of noun
stress calls for the first part to receive primary stress.)

I asked Fiete if he can think of other such cases.

Of course, this sort of apparent aberration is not totally unknown in
English either.  Off the top of my head I can think of the example
_weekénd_ (vs _wéékend_) in (mostly non-American) English dialects.
Some apparently compounds tend to receive this "aberrant" stress
assignment in virtually all dialects; e.g., _morning néws_ (rather than
*_mórning news_).  Thus, we seem to have two kinds of construction
here.  We have discussed this matter within an English context some time
ago.  In Lowlands Saxon, however, this is an exceedingly rare
occurrence, and I wonder what might be the reason for it.