LL-L "Resources" 2002.08.26 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 26 21:08:48 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.AUG.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>, Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Resources"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Resources
>
> Sandy,
>
> Looking at your website, effort and plans, what comes to mind to
> adequately express my feeling of awe is German _Alle Achtung!_ and
> Hebrew _Kol hakavod!_ (both "All the respect/esteem/honor/awe/attention
> [to you]!").  Obviously, you are rendering an important service, not
> only to Scots speakers.

Thanks, Ron - though I take the attitude of it's just something that
has to be done. Of course, one learns a great deal about the language,
and literature, and databases, and text processing, and textual
analysis, and Internet programming, so the work is pretty much its
own reward!

> I would certainly be pleased to chip in in whatever modest ways I can,
> especially once we have gotten through our current project of creating
> introductions to the Lowlands languages, to which you have kindly
> contributed amply (and for which we still need some help from volunteer
> writers and translators).

I didn't mean to say I was asking for help - just that if anyone has
anything they feel inspired to do with regard to the texts, then the
fruits of their labours can now be presented on the site, if they want
to share it.

> >   o  translations into other languages;
>
> What specifically do you have in mind in this regard?  Translations of
> the index, introduction and annotation, or of actual literary pieces?

It's just a suggestion, inspired by the fact that I've been chipping
away
at translating Sleepy Hollow into Scots for some time now, just because
it's a story I really like and wanted to try putting into Scots - the
discovery of phrases like "the sonsie Katrina" and "a figur on
horseback,
wantin his heid" and "some tattie-bogle wun awa fae a cornfield" (part
of
the description of Ichabod Crane) make it a most enjoyable endeavour.

Anyway, because of this it occurred to me that someone somewhere might
have translated one or two of the texts on the site into their own
language, just because they felt like it. If that's the case, then,
again, it can be put in the "omnium gatherum" if they want to share it.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/