LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.08.26 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 26 21:09:15 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.AUG.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>, Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>

From: leslie at volny.cz
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.08.25 (02) [E]

This explains a lot to me.  A few years ago, they were showing the
film 'Wilde Mossels,' set in Zeeland, at an international film
festival in Prague.  My (Antwerp-area) Flemish friend was looking
through the festival guide with me, where they had the Czech and
original titles listed.  She pointed it out and said 'Ha!  MosselEN,
not mosselS'  I'll admit I was a bit surprised, because I probably
would have said 's' because it ended with 'el.'  But, as I always
tell my English students, 'Don't argue with the native speaker, even
if it's a different dialect.'  I studied Dutch in Texas at
university and in Leiden.  (We went to see the movie, and sure
enough, it was 'mossels.')

What's interesting to me is where these dialects diverge in this
respect (we've already seen several examples).  And also, which ones
distinguish between just words ending in 'er' and 'el' (and foreign
words, and probably some other ones I can't think of at the moment
:-) ) and which ones use the 's' more freely, as in Zeeland and West
Flanders.

Regards,

Leslie Decker