LL-L "Phonology" 2002.08.26 (03) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 26 21:09:38 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.AUG.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>, Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>

From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2002.08.25 (05) [E/S]

Moin, Ron, Leeglanners,

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Phonology
>
> Fiete,
>
> Weetst noch annere tosamensette Nomen (Höövtwöörd'), de in Dien Dialekt
> up de tweede Deel betoond wardt?
>
> Lowlanders,
>
> Above, Fiete pointed out that in the case of the compound noun _Kattuul_
> (_Katt_ 'cat' + _Uul_ 'owl') 'barn owl' the second rather than the first
> part has primary stress in his Lower Elbe Lowlands Saxon (Low German)
> dialect.  (As most of you know, the typical Germanic pattern of noun
> stress calls for the first part to receive primary stress.)
>
> I asked Fiete if he can think of other such cases.
>
> Of course, this sort of apparent aberration is not totally unknown in
> English either.  Off the top of my head I can think of the example
> _weekénd_ (vs _wéékend_) in (mostly non-American) English dialects.
> Some apparently compounds tend to receive this "aberrant" stress
> assignment in virtually all dialects; e.g., _morning néws_ (rather than
> *_mórning news_).  Thus, we seem to have two kinds of construction
> here.  We have discussed this matter within an English context some time
> ago.  In Lowlands Saxon, however, this is an exceedingly rare
> occurrence, and I wonder what might be the reason for it.
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Yes- the other one (not from my L.S.- dialekt)- though having three
syllables- is the "Kattèeker", (UG) "Eichkater", (E) [oak - cat],
"squirrel".
As You know, Ron, it was used in the LS/"missingsch"-dialect of Eastern
Prussia, and it was spoken by my father (native speaker of that dialect)
this way.
It's interesting, that it is beginning with "Katt-" again. But- when
pronouncing the words I found out, that I am trying to put the second
"t" of "Katt" to the beginning oft the second part of the word:
"Kat-teeker" or
"Kat-tuul".

Greutens un Regards

Fiete.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Thanks, Fiete.

Since the other example also involves _Katt_ 'cat', and because I cannot
think of any other examples either, I'm beginning to suspect that this
is a case of what in morphophonology is know as "analogous extension."
Specifically, the speaker, having lost awareness of the semantic value
of the component _Katt..._ (i.e., the literal meaning of the compound),
extends the stress pattern of other, seemingly similar constructions to
these constructions.  Thus, we have, for instance, _Kattüffel_ (~ <
_Kartüffel_ 'potato') and _Kattuun_ '(printed) cotton fabric', both
stressed on the syllable after _Katt..._ (which does not denote "cat" in
these cases).  This pattern may then have been extended to (*_Kátteker_