LL-L "Resources" 2002.02.04 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 20:09:27 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.FEB.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

I wrote:

> I read that the font MS Arial Unicode is the most complete.  ("Most
> complete"?! Well, you know what they mean.)  But it is a very large
> file.

I have looked a little farther into this and found what for some of us
is of importance.  While both fonts contain most Roman, Cyrillic, Greek,
Hebrew, basic Arabic, IPA and other symbols, MS Arial Unicode also
contains a good number of other scripts, such as various Indic scripts,
Georgian, Armenian, extended Arabic (for all relevant languages, and
also containing all types of special ligatures), Mongolian, Thai, Lao,
Korean (with special ligatures), Japanese (kana, kanji and punctuation),
and Chinese (traditional, simplified, alternative and punctuation).

The thing about using either Unicode font on web pages is that
apparently you need cascading style sheets, and that's my next
challenge.