LL-L "Currency" 2002.02.04 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 00:57:34 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.FEB.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "John M. Tait" <jmtait at altavista.net>
Subject: LL-L "Currency" 2002.02.03 (06) [E]

Sandy wrate:

>Plus there may be some unexpected developments! I remember
>particularly that "pence" managed to replace "pennies"
>everywhere when the UK moved over to decimal currency.
>On the other hand "pennies" was retained when not talking
>about prices. Eg "It costs fifty pence" but still "I'm
>collecting pennies".

Because, of course, before decimalisation, eleven was the most pennies
you could have before you were into shillings, and up to eleven was
expressed as one word - twopence...elevenpence, with the 'pence'
unstressed.

>Shame we can never get back to those really huge pre-decimal
>pennies that ripped the seams out of your pockets if you had
>more than about a shilling's worth - but at least looked like
>they were worth something!

They were!

John M. Tait.

----------

From: "Colin Wilson" <lcwilson at starmail.com>
Subject: LL-L

Andy Eagle wrote:

>Euros is of course a natural English plural formation. In Scots I would
>expect Euro as both singular and plural as is usual with nouns of
>measurement.

That only holds with numbers, though, doesn't it? You might speak about
"twintie euro" in the same way that you'd talk about "twintie pound",
but I
don't
think anyone would talk about going to the bank "tae buy some euro". It
really
would have to be "tae buy some euros", whatever the ECB might try to
dictate.

Guidwull tae aw,

Colin Wilson.