LL-L "Resources" 2002.02.04 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 01:10:05 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.FEB.2002 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Andy.Eagle at t-online.de (Andy Eagle)
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2002.02.04 (01) [E]

Ron Wrote:

<snip>
> Before I installed the Lucida font, I designated the view mode to use MS
> Arial Unicode (in IE 5+), which I did have.  It worked for various pages
> but not for yours for some reason.

The reason that MS Arial Unicode didn't work in my pages was because the
font MS Arial Unicode wasn't defined in my style sheet. It is now so it
should work. That's one of the advantage of (external) style sheets,
adding
the three words 'MS Arial Unicode' in the style sheet causes it to apply
the whole site.I dont need to edit any of the pages. (I'll not go into
the
nitty gritty here it would take to long.)

Andy Eagle

----------

From: Andy.Eagle at t-online.de (Andy Eagle)
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2002.02.04 (06) [E]

Ron Wrote
<snip>

> The thing about using either Unicode font on web pages is that
> apparently you need cascading style sheets, and that's my next
> challenge.

You can achieve 'mimimal' results without stylesheets simply use

code
for the desired character)

You can of course choose other fonts but the user has to have the chosen
font installed on their system for the unicode to work.

The following fonts have IPA Extensions. (What thay have above and
beyond
that varies considerably)

Lucida Sans Unicode, Lucida Sans, Arial Unicode MS, Bitstream CyberBit,
Bitstream CyberCJK, Caslon, Code2000, Monospace, Thryomanes, TITUS
Cyberbit
Basic, SImPL, MS Mincho

More Info at: http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/fonts.html

The reason I chose Lucida Sans Unicode was simply because a free
download
was available.

With style sheets you can define more than one font. The users' machine
checks for the first font, if its not there it checks for the second and
so
on.

Style sheets aren't difficult, have fun!

Andy

From: "Nigel Smith" <rnigelsmith at hotmail.com>
Subject: Resources

R. F. Hahn wrote:

>Before I installed the Lucida font, I designated the view mode to use MS
>Arial Unicode (in IE 5+), which I did have.  It worked for various pages
>but not for yours for some reason.

This is persumably because there is a minor typo ("Unnicode" for
"Unicode")
in Andy Eagle's style sheet.

It is probably best to define the font in the style sheet as
FONT-FAMILY:
Arial Unicode MS, Lucida Sans Unicode, Code 2000 (rather than putting
Lucida
Sans Unicode first). The browser will display your text in the first
listed
font that is installed on the user's machine. As Arial Unicode MS is
optimised for onscreen display, it is probably a better choice than
Lucida
Sans, which looks 'jagged'/jaggy on screen. If the user doesn't have
Arial
Unicode MS installed, the text will be displayed in the next font in the
list.

It is good to see that Unicode is finally becoming available for general
use
on web pages.

Nigel Smith