LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.02.18 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 19:23:43 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.FEB.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Expreszo" <expreszo at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.01.27 (08) [E]

From: Margot van Baalen:

Sandy wrote:
> > > "De huus gooie mie kluuten over 't dek van 't 'uus na de puuten in de
> > > dulve."
> > >
> > > "The bairns flings dauds o glaur ower the hoose at the puddocks in the
> > > sheuch."
> >
> > "... ower the ruif o the hoose ..."?
>
> I did wonder what the didactic purpose of the sentence was,
> considering how unlikely the activity described is?
is?

Ron responded:
> I understood it as meaning that this sentence contains words and
> pronunciation that are considered "typically" Zeelandic, as seen from
> the point of view of a Standard Dutch speaker, e.g., Z _huus_ ([hy:s]?)
> = D _kinderen_ (['kInd at r@(n)]) 'children', 'kids', Z _puuten_
> (['py:t@(n)]?) = D _kikkers_ (['kIk at rs]) 'frogs', Z _dulve_ (['dYlv"@]?)
> = D _sloot_ ([slo:t] ~ [sloUt]) '(drainage) ditch', _kluuten_
> (['kly:t@(n)]?) = _kluiten modder_ ([,kl^Yt@'mOd at r]) 'lumps of mud', and
> then all the sound "changes" ...  But I may be making this up and had
> better let Margot explain.

I could not have explained it better.  I am a "Zeeuw" for over 34 years
now,
and I never did it. Although: as a little child we would go to the
"dulve"
to look at the "puut'n" and which kid has never been throwing mud???
But Ron is right: it are just typical Zeelandic words which sound well
together.
I know another one if you're interested:

" Daè zit een brokke mie tjoekjes in de 'outvumme "
or what to say about:
" Kiek, kiek, daè staèt een kacheltje op de diek"
and last but not least:
" A't joe tam end is pak't dan mè"
(when my mother said this to me for the first time I was really
impressed: I
thought she spoke in Latin)

Kind regards, or as we say in Zeelandic:
Bezjoer

Margot van Baalen