LL-L "Etymology" 2002.02.18 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 19:32:40 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.FEB.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: frank verhoft <frank_verhoft at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Beste Laaglanders

In another mail group, the Middle High German word
_gumpen_ ('springen', 'to jump') got mentioned.

A few questions:

1. I can'tmanage to retrace the etymology of this
word.
2. Neither can i think of any cognates in Standard
Dutch or my local variety (Antwerpen, Brabantian
dialect), if any of course(???). Are there any
cognates known in other Low Land (Low German?)
dialects or variants. Or, in other Germanic languages.
3. I can't help associating MHG _gumpen_ with English
_to jump_, but my data for the etymology of _to jump_
are, if possible, even less clear and more sparse.
I hope that somebody can help me with that, and with
pointing out whether or not the two words can be
considered as cognates, going back to the same
(Germanic, IE) word or root.

Many thanks in advance!!

Bets regards,

Frank Verhoft

=====
"De perto ninguém é normal!" - Caetano Veloso

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Frank,

You may be interested to know that in most Northern and many
Northeastern Low Saxon (Low German) dialects we use _jumpen_ with the
same meaning as English "to jump."  The verbal root is /jump-/.  It is
pronounced [jUmp], [djUmp] or [dZUmp], depending on the dialect
(pronunciations 2 and 3 being close, if not identical, to those in many
dialects of Northern England).

I used to assume that it was an English loan.  However, you mentioned
Middle High German _gumpen_.  Also, the origin of English "jump" is
apparently unknown, and the word can be traced back no farther than to
the 16th century, which makes me suspect that it is a Middle Low Saxon
(Hanseatic) loanword, if it is not a common Saxon word.