LL-L "Help needed" 2002.01.12 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 00:36:12 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.JAN.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ansgar Fehnker <ansgar at ECE.CMU.EDU>
Subject: Low Saxon Translation

Hi
I am busy to write a technical abstract on why brute force searching
isn't
always the best choice. For this I want refer to a low saxon proverb
that
goes as follows.

  It is better to work with a lazy, than with a stupid one.

My problem is that I am not fluent in low saxon anymore. I was born in
the
western part of lower saxony where a "girl" is a "wicht", "to speak" is
"proaten" and "to talk" is "küren". Just to give you an impression of
the
kind of low saxon people used to speak there.

I asked some people who speak low saxon for help, but they are not used
speak it to someone who speaks plain german, so the result didn't
satisfy me
completely. For example they used the verb "arbeiden" whereas I wonder
whether "werken" wouldn't be more appropiate.  Simlar things hold for
the
translation of "it", "lazy" and "stupid one".

Anyhow, I also wonder whether I should actually try to get it "right"
(whatever that may mean). I may end up with an ancient form of low saxon
that nobody understands anymore, since most speakers have as second
first
language Dutch or German. But on the other hand, I wouldn't like to have
as
result a sentence that is merely dutch or german which is made sound low
saxon.

I hope I didn't make a fuss about just a few words.

Regards

Ansgar

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Help needed

Lowlanders,

I have received the following request from a non-subscriber.  Please
respond to her directly if you do.

***