LL-L "Etymology" 2002.06.08 (02) [E/F]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 8 19:27:14 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 08.JUN.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Dear All

Fiete wrote:

"New trial; "Pferd", "Peerd", "Peird", "Paird",  but:
"horse" (and
"hengist") in modern English.

What about "pair"? They had to go "pairwhise" at most
times!

I don't find any germanic/low saxon origin able to
convince me! "HORSE"
seems much older.

Bis denne

Fiete."

Is this regarding etymology? I don't have an etymology
dictionary with me at present, but as far as I can
remember 'Pferd' etc. comes from an early Latin loan,
whereas 'horse' is the old Germanic word still found
in German 'Ross' etc. I'm not sure where 'pair' comes
from, but I would think that German 'Paar' is cognate.
Seeing as the German word has a simple 'p' and not a
'pf' I would think that this is a much more recent
loan, and probably from French? (sorry, my French
isn't too hot, so please excuse me if I'm wrong - the
word 'se-par-ate' springs to mind as being connected).
With this reasoning I wouldn't expect the two to be
related.

Hope this helps

Gary