LL-L "Etymology" 2002.06.30 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 30 18:13:27 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JUN.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: "Leslie Decker" <leslie at volny.cz>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.06.29 (02) [E]

On a slightly tangential note, does anyone know the basis for the
Russian
'brjuki' meaning 'trousers?'  It seems to me to have come from a
Germanic
source (Dutch 'broek' English 'breeches, britches').  Maybe from
sailors?
The 'i' is just a plural ending.

Thanks,

Leslie Decker