LL-L "History" 2002.05.16 (07) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu May 16 22:32:17 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.MAY.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.05.13 (05) [E]

Leeve Fruennen,

As I consider myself a Sydslesviger I think I am to
say something about this issue. First of all I am
coming from an old Danish-minded family though Family
Lohse was based just south of Rendsborg, but through
Generations (and not overnight) our conclusion was
always "waerd wi man bi daenmark bleeven", moreover,
it is not possible to make a clear cut in the area
between Rendsborg and Kolding and even south of it,
many local families along the Ossenwegh/Oksevej have
ancestors from Northern Jutland through trade along
this old trading road leading from Skagen to Altona.
The biggest mistake was to divide an area which was
very diverse in itself, considering that the Frisians
had their own language and culture on the North Sea
coast as well. Until the beginning of the 19th century
people felt themselves as Slesviger if they cared
about any regional identity at all because their daily
live was a struggle to survive on the country side,
many subsequently left for North America. Only in the
middle of the 19th century was it forced upon the
population to make a decision whether they would
prefer to live in a future German state or remain
under the Danish Crown, most people prefered an
autonomous Slesvig Dutchy as a part of the German
empire, and with the lack of support from the other
Scandinavian countries for the Danish case Prussia
invaded with the excuse to "liberate" the Slesvigers
from the Danish yoke but subsequently annected it and
Slesvig had less autonomy than under the Danish Crown.
But then it was too late, grudgingly the Slesvigers
put up with that. Even then the people had
difficulties to consider themselves as German,
reflected as well in the "Quickborn" of Klaas Groth in
the poem "Hanne ut Frankriek". There he writes "...wat
eer Familie weer, dat kreegen wi nuems to weeten:
Mumme weer froeher op Scholen un broch eer mit ut
Duetschland", obviously Groth considered Germany as
something apart from his native Dithmarschen. Fact is
that the current state of Slesvig-Holsten is still a
lot more than just Germany on the border to Denmark,
but one needs to have a closer look, check the
introduction page of the "Nahverkehrgesellschaft
Schleswig-Holstein", it is impressively written in
five languages, four of them are the officially
recognized German, Low Saxon, Frisian and Danish, the
other is English, the link is:
http://www.lvs-sh.de/0_frames/frame_lvs.htm.
As Lone worte, it is time to call it a day.

Groeten ut Baarlo bi Rendsborg vun

Helge