LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.11.23 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 23 11:29:54 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.NOV.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: etienne at ubishops.ca <etienne at ubishops.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2002.11.18 (01) [E]

I am sorry to say that I am disappointed in this list.  Unlike other lists
when
a newcomer identifies herself as such and is therefore welcomed by someone,
anyone, and a request is responded to in some sort of fashion, this list
seems
to ignore both.

Mieke Koppen Tucker

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net
Subject: Administrativa

Hi, Mieke, and, yes, welcome.

I am sorry you are disappointed in this List, which by and large is known as
one of the friendlier ones.

I do welcome newcomers periodically, albeit as a group and anonymously
(because I cannot divulge names until someone "goes public," like you did.)
Currently, between 1 and twenty people subscribe per day.  The tradition is
that, when someone posts for the first time and says so, the person
responding says a word of welcome.  Had I responded to your request, I
certainly would have welcomed you.  (And I hardly think that anyone who has
been around on the List would consider me unwelcoming.)  In hindsight, yes,
I could have added a word of welcome when I posted your request, and I beg
your pardon for not having done so.

It so happens that, for whatever reason, and sadly so, no one has responded
to your request.  This happens occasionally, possibly because persons who
could respond are currently absent or busy, in which case the person with
the request sends out a reminder.  Also, some subscribers read their mail
only every one or two weeks, so oftentimes responses come three or even four
weeks later.  The entire list cannot be made responsible for non-response to
a particular request and ought not be judged by it.

I am reposting your request of November 18 (5 days ago) below and ask people
to respond to it under "Orthography."  Your name in square brackets was
supplied by me, since anonymous or semi-anonymous posting is not permitted
according to the rules, to which everyone is directed
(http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.htm).

===

From: etienne at ubishops.ca <etienne at ubishops.ca>
Subject: "Orthography"

Hi,

I have just joined this list and hope this request is not old hat.  Could
anyone recommend a work, academic or popular, on the history or politics of
spelling changes in the Netherlandish language?   It does not have to be in
English.

Thanks, mieke
[Mieke Koppen Tucker]