LL-L "Resources" 2002.11.24 (05) [D/E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Nov 24 08:30:00 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.NOV.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Stella en Henno <stellahenno at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "resources" (my suggestion, Ron), was administrativa

> From: etienne at ubishops.ca <etienne at ubishops.ca>
> Subject: "Orthography"
>
> Hi,
>
> I have just joined this list and hope this request is not old hat.  Could
> anyone recommend a work, academic or popular, on the history or politics
of
> spelling changes in the Netherlandish language?   It does not have to be
in
> English.
>
> Thanks, mieke
> [Mieke Koppen Tucker]

Hi Mieke,

I'm afraid I did not read this request before, or I would have replied to
it sooner. I have a book suggestion:

Spellingverandering van zin naar onzin (1200-heden)
G.C Molewijk
SDU Uitgeverij (1992)
ISBN 90 12 06852 5

This is a 550 page book dealing with the history and politics of Dutch
spelling changes.
The title already suggests the author's opinion, but it is well documented
and good fun
to read (if you read Dutch, of course). I do not know whether it's still
available, it might
have been discounted (verramsjd) by now, as often happens with such
"impopular books". (Dutch seem to hate spelling almost universally, but do
take a sado-masochistic
delight in Het groot Dictee der Nederlandse Taal, though). This book tries
to show that
our spelling has been changed to often and not really for the better as
well. It's quite amusing the way he undermines familiar arguments for
spelling changes in (IMHO) quite a convincing way...

Hope this helps you,

Henno Brandsma