LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.10.20 (02) [|E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 20 22:10:26 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.OCT.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language Varieties

Hi Ron and all

You wrote:

"Much of this seems to apply to New Zealand varieties
as well.  The only
feature of NZ "accents" that to my ear sounds special
(from my
pseudo-Australian viewpoint) is that the short /e/, as
in "bed," is
pronounced even more frontal and higher than its
Australian
counterpart,
something like [e], approaching [I].  I hear a similar
sound in some
South
African English dialects."

This closing of 'e' has also had the unique effect in
NZ of pushing the 'i' to a more centralised position,
which can be written as an allophone of schwa, as it's
in complementary distribution. Lots of Australians
thus laugh at NZ pronunciation of 'six' as to them it
sounds like 'sex'. My NZ cousins all have this feature
in their speech, and it's (for me) the best marker of
distinguishing NZ from Australian accents.

In a similar way I'll always listen to Canadians
pronunciation of 'light' to distinguish them from
Americans.

Gary