LL-L "Language change" 2002.09.13 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Sep 13 20:30:22 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.SEP.2002 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: "Gary Taylor" <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

Dear all

Neal wrote

"Hello Mike,
    Please know that your use of "he" as a generic
pronoun for both
sexes is
grammatically correct in proper American and English.
Some recent
objections have come from a vociferous group of
zealots whose purpose
it is
to destroy the English language as a part of a
political agenda.  These
people can be easily ascertained as they often use the
plural pronoun
"they"
as a substitute for a sentence requiring the correct
and singular
pronoun
"he".  Their incorrect use of the language is
preferable to them as
they are
largely the group of modern zealots who despise
anything even remotely
resembling "maleness".  Sothe better informed and
educated generally
ignore
them hoping that they will simply go away.  Besides,
partisan politics
has
no place in an academic forum such as ours.  As an
aside, the singular
pronoun "he" represents an audience of either all
males or a mixed
group.
When the group being addressed is all female then the
personal pronoun
"she"
is advised. So have no reservations about your elegant
use of the
language
as it is better than most modern American speakers,
unfortunately.
    Regards,
    Neal (retired teacher)"

Who says? If someone wishes to use 'they' as the
generic term then I personally feel that THEY have
every right in so doing. I think you'll find that
younger speakers and writers tend to do this a lot
more than older speakers. Also this is the form I was
brought up to use, without any hidden political
agenda. Does this not show changing language which is
good and healthy, and shows that the language is a
living one! Also I don't have a problem with American
speakers. Whose to say that 'British English' (and
which one?) is the best?
Sorry if this sounds personal, but speaking about
'correct' English tends to annoy me!

Gary Taylor - yes I'm male so I have nothing against
'maleness' and I use 'they', and yes I'm British and
like to hear the richness of American varieties.

ps. Quick comment about non-English postings. I find
that if I'm a bit rushed I skip the non-English
postings, as they require a bit of added effort -
sorry, that's pure laziness. However, when I do have
the time I really enjoy them, I just feel a bit
jealous that my native tongue is so common. It means
that I can't talk about people on the train when in a
foreign country for fear that they'll understand me!

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language change

Perhaps to counterbalance the grammatical emasculation by means of "they,"
many, probably most Americans now say "you guys" for plural "you"
irrespective of gender.  I have to admit that I found it odd when it started
taking off a few years ago, and I remember expressions of chagrin in the
faces of older people when they were addressed by younger persons as "you
guys," especially if they were all female.  At least where I live (Seattle
and environs) this is now quite common, everyone is used to it, not only
young people use it, and "you guys" is well on its way to becoming a regular
pronoun, similar to "ye'all" (< "you all") in some Southern dialects. Yes,
there are dinosaurs who still hesitate to use it, like yours truly, but it
looks like it's only a matter of time and we'll all use it, perhaps even you
guys in Britland and Oz.

Cheerio!
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.:
     Lott is dood!
     Lott is dood!
     Liese liggt in d'n Graven!
Most people sing:
     Lott is dood!
     Lott is dood!
     Jule liggt in d'n Graven!

Please submit postings to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>. * Postings
will be displayed unedited in digest form. * Please display only the
relevant parts of quotes in your replies. * Commands for automated functions
(including "signoff lowlands-l") are   to be sent to
<listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or at
<http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html>. * Please use only
Plain Text format, not Rich Text (HTML) or any other   type of format, in
your submissions