LL-L "Songs" 2002.09.25 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 25 14:23:53 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.SEP.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Matthew McGrattan <matthew.mcgrattan at brasenose.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2002.09.19 (06) [E/LS]

> From: Randy Elzinga <frisiancow at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Songs
>
> Hello Everybody,
>
> Can anyone tell me the words to the song
>
> "klapjes in je handjes."
>
> I think the song is in Dutch, but if the song exists in any other
> languages,
> particulary Westlauwers Frisian, I would appreciate them too.  If my
> memory
> serves me correctly, this is a song sung to young children while holding
> their hands (one in each of the singer's hands) and clapping them together
> along with the song.  There may be other actions, too, that I don't
> remember, in which case, can you tell me about those too?
>
> Randy Elzinga.

This song also exists in the UK. I've heard it being sung to young
children in Central Scotland [however I may have heard it being sung by my
mother - who is English but knows Scottish children's songs as well- so I
am not sure if it is Scottish or English].

The English refrain is something like "clappa clappa handies" sung as the
child's hands are being clapped together. I'm afraid I can't remember the
other words - perhaps one of the other scottish/english contributors [one
with small children rather than just small nieces and nephews :-) ] might
remember.

[I can vaguely remember the melody but without an instrument to hand I can'
t notate it (I don't have good enough pitch to just transcribe straight
from memory).]

Sorry if this is deeply uninformative - but the song does exist in the UK.

Thanks,

Matt

Please submit postings to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>. *
Postingswill
be displayed unedited in digest form. * Please display only therelevant
parts of quotes in your replies. * Commands for automated
functions(including "signoff lowlands-l") are   to be sent
to<listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org> or
at<http://linguistlist.org/subscribing/sub-lowlands-l.html>. * Please use
onlyPlain Text format, not Rich Text (HTML) or any other   type of format,
in your submissions