LL-L "Folklore" 2003.08.09 (03) [E/LS/German/Chinese]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Aug 9 19:16:56 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.AUG.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Folklore

Dear Lowlanders,

Initiated by Our Fiete, people have been discussing a possible Lowlands
Saxon (Low German) by-name for “cuckoo”: _leygvagel_ (<Leegvagel>) and the
likelihood that the part _leyg’_ refers to ‘bad’ (< ‘low’) or ‘lazy’.  This
has made me think of the folkloristic images of the cuckoo, and I wonder if
people want to share some relevant information.

For our non-European subscribers, let me add the explanation that cuckoos
have a dubious reputation in European folklore.  On the one hand, cuckoos
(which have a very distinctive call: "coo-coo") are celebrated as harbingers
of springtime and of all the joy that comes with it, especially courtship.
On the other hand, cuckoos are "naughty" and "lazy" birds in that they do
not build their own nests but lay their eggs in other birds’ nests, where
after hatching their offspring will throw their usually much smaller and
weaker “adoptive” siblings out of the nest and have their “adoptive” parents
raise them as single children.

There are folkloristic and idiomatic references to the cuckoo's bad images.
For instance, in LS angry, exasperated parents will sometimes call their
child _kukuuks-ay_ (<Kukuuksei>, German _Kuckucksei_) “cuckoo’s egg,”
inferring that the child does not seem like theirs.

The good image and sometimes the dubious image (possibly with “naughtiness”
overtones referring to courtship) of the cuckoo is portrayed in European
folksongs.  This is the case throughout Europe, such as in the first two
verses of a well-known Italian song from Southern Switzerland and Northern
Italy:

   L'inverno è già passato
   l'aprile non c'è più
   è ritornato il maggio
   al canto del cucù.
      |: Cucù, cucù,
      l'aprile non c'è più.
      È ritornato il maggio
      al canto del cucù. :|

   Lassù per le montagne
   la neve non c'è più
   comincia a fare il nido
   il povero cucù.
      |: Cucù, cucù,
      la neve non c'è più.
      comincia a fare il nido
      il povero cucù. :|

My (rough) translation:

   Winter has just passed,
   April is no more,
   And May has returned
   The cuckoo’s song.
         |: Cuckoo, cuckoo,
         April is no more.
         And May has returned
         The cuckoo’s song. :|

   Above there in the mountains
   The snow has disappeared,
   And he keeps doing his mischief,
   That poor fellow, cuckoo.
         |: Cuckoo, cuckoo,
         The snow has disappeared.
         And he keeps doing his mischief,
         That poor fellow, cuckoo. :|

In actual fact, the cuckoo’s image stretches beyond Europe, all over
Eurasia.  The earliest recorded Chinese folksongs (in the ancient collection
詩經) abound with cuckoo references, and these were adopted in “fine” poetry,
such as a poem by an anonymous writer, probably of the eighth century C.E.
(seemingly referring to impending release from war-time duty):

   盡寒食雨草萋萋
   è‘—éº¥è‹—é¢¨æŸ³æ˜ å ¤
   等是有家歸未得
   æœéµ‘ä¼‘å‘è€³é‚ å•¼

My translations:

Lowlands Saxon:

   Vör ’t Kold-Äten-Fest schütt dat Gras in ’t Kruud,
   De Wind suust dörch d’n jungen Weten, un de Wicheln schemert up d’n Diek.
   Up elkeen töövt ’n Tohuus’; bloots ik heff keen ...
   Och, Kukuuk, hold up mit dien Gröhln in mien Ohrn!

   Vör ’t Kold-Eten-Vest schütt dat gras in ’t kruud,
   Dey wind suust dörch d’n jungen weyten, un dey wicheln schemert up d’n
dyk.
   Up elk eyn töyvt ’n touhuus’; bloots ik hev keyn ...
   Och, Kukuuk, hold up mit dyn gröyln in myn ourn!

German:

   Vor dem Fest der Kalten Speisen wuchert das Gras,
   Der Wind fegt durch den jungen Weizen, und auf dem Deich schimmern die
Weiden.
   Auf jedermann wartet ein Daheim. Nur ich habe keins …
   Ach, Kuckuck, höre auf in meine Ohren zu schreien!

English:

   The grass flourishes as the Feast of Cold Foods approaches,
   The Wind sweeps through the young wheat, and willows gleam on the dike.
   Everyone has a home waiting for him. Only I have none ...
   Oh, cuckoo, stop yelling into my ears!

One of my favorite folksong from England (with many local variants,
including American ones) only shows the cuckoo’s good side, idealizes it:

   Oh the cuckoo she's a pretty bird
   She singeth as she flies
   She bringeth good tidings
   She telleth no lies
   She sucketh white flowers
   For to keep her voice clear
   And the more she singeth cuckoo
   The summer draweth near.

   As I was a-walking
   And a-talking one day
   I met my own true love
   As he came that way
   Oh to meet him was a pleasure
   Though the courting was a woe
   For I found him false hearted
   He'd kiss me and then he'd go.

   I wish I were a scholar
   And could handle the pen
   I would write to my lover
   And to all roving men
   I would tell them of the grief and woe
   That attend on their lies
   I would wish them have pity
   On the flower when it dies.

[...]

A Midi version of its haunting tune can be heard here:
http://www.midi-music.com/music/eng/cuckoo.htm

Can any of you think of and are willing to share interesting Lowlands cuckoo
folklore and verse, especially with reference to the bird’s “naughty” side?

Thanks and regards,