LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.12.05 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 5 19:27:38 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.DEC.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Margaret Tarbet <oneko at att.net>
Subject: "Language varieties"

Ron asked:

> What *are* "basic" words?  Usually people try to
>think of what may have been basic in "primitive" cultures, such as "fire,"
>"hunt," and parts of the body.

A few years ago, in the very polyglot newsgroup for fans of the
work of Terry Pratchett OBE, we seem to have discovered at least
one word that's shared across language-group boundaries:  caca,
(IE: kakka-) meaning foeces, bad, nasty, unpleasant, undesirable,
etc.   Intuitively it would seem to be a very primitive word and
unlikely to be an import from some other language group.  If I
recall correctly, we found it in IE, Finno-Ugric, Semitic, and
two or three others I can't now remember.

It's not lowlands-specific, but, since I'm sure list members here
are even more polyglot than the Pratchettians, it might be an
interesting exercise to see in just how many language groups that
word *does* appear.

Margaret