LL-L "Delectables" 2003.12.05 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 5 19:29:42 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.DEC.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Reuben Epp <repp at silk.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2003.12.05 (02) [E]

> From: Shirley Wyatt <ladyarabian at msn.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2003.12.04 (04) [E]
>
> I make tweebak almost every other week.  My Mom eats them for breakfast
with
> ham on it.  I also eat them a lot.  I make the bread in my bread machine
and
> then slice it thinly and dry it in a low oven setting.
> I'll include the recipe for those who might want to enjoy them again.
> Tweebak
> Into small saucepan, put 1 cup milk, 1/4 lb real butter (not margerine
> although it can be used) 1/2 cup sugar and heat this so the butter is
melted
> and the sugar mixed in.  Then cool slightly, adding 1 beaten egg and 1 T
> yeast (or 1 packet which we have in the US) and transfer to your bread
> machine.  Add 3 - 3- 1/2 cups of flour.  Let the bread machine bake the
> bread.  Then slice it thinly and dry in about a 200 degree F oven.  Enjoy.

Reuben Epp repp at silk.net replies:

It becomes apparent that in the Lowlands,  the word 'Tweeback' has
two distinct meanings. Both are baked goods.

What Shirley Wyatt here describes seems to be fairly well-known in the
Netherlands today and in English is termed 'rusk.'

When the word 'Tweeback' is referred to by Low Saxon/Low German
Mennonites from Russia, it can mean nothing other than double-decker
buns, which are baked by them worldwide since centuries ago. They
are a delicacy when fresh and keep well for travelling when toasted and
held in dry storage. Many Mennonites 'tweebacked' their way out of
Russia and across the Atlantic.

Please try 'google' for 'Tweeback.'

Reuben Epp