LL-L "Phonology" 2003.02.04 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 4 18:34:50 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.FEB.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Lowlanders,

Elsie's mention of Afrikaans _appelkoos_ 'apricot' (reanalyzed as containing
_appel_ 'apple') reminded me a neat little case of phonological
overcompensation.

In German, 'apricot' is _Aprikose_ [?apri'ko:z@], in Lowlands Saxon (Low
German) usually _Aprikoos'_ [?apri'ko.Uz].  When I was a child, my playmates
and I, who grew up hearing both German and Lowlands Saxon but were mostly
caught in between by speaking varieties of Missingsch (German on LS
substrate), thought that German _Aprikose_ was a mistake.  We were aware,
though mostly subconsciously, that what in LS is /p/ must be German /pf/
(Peerd = Pferd, Appel = Apfel) or /f/ (lopen = laufen, up/op = auf).  So we
consistently said _Apfrikose_ instead, and for hours would sing (basically
to the tune of "Ring around the rosies"):

     Ringel, rangel, Rosen!
     Schöne Ap[f]rikosen!
     Veilchen und Vergissmeinnicht!
     Alle (kleinen) Kinder setzen sich,
     Setzen sich in'n Holderbusch,
     Machen alle husch, husch, husch.

My translation:
     Ringle, rangle roses!
     Lovely apricots!
     Violets and forget-me-nots!
     All (little) children do a squat,
     Squat down inside the elderberry bush,
     And everyone goes whoosh, whoosh, whoosh.

This was played in a circle, and everyone jumps up from a squatting position
at the word "whoosh."