LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.02.05 (05) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 5 16:13:19 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.FEB.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.02.04 (14) [E]

At 04:10 PM 02/04/03 -0800, Chris Ferguson wrote:
>I feel I have to reply to this email - I do not know exactly what point
this
>person is getting at -but would like to point out that there is no
language,
>dialect or people known as "Scotch".  The language is called Scots. The
>dialects of Scots are called Scots dialects The dialects of English spoken
>here are called Scottish English dialects and the people are called Scots
>with the adjective being Scottish. It intimates to me a deep
>misunderstanding of anything Scottish to refer to "Scotch"

Actually, we've been over this ground several years ago, and I can dig out
the conversation from my personal archive if pressed.  I believe the
conclusion at that time was that "Scotch" is really just a now archaic
spelling of "Scots", which is now generally preferred.  However, in the
18th and 19th centuries, pretty much Scotch meant Scots, as in
"Scotch-Irish Immigration", etc.  Perhaps the distaste for this spelling
and pronunciation derived from other derivations such as "butterscotch",
"Scotch Tape", and so forth, and recent dilettantes (yourself excluded, of
course), thought this was demeaning to the Noble Race of Scots.

Ed Alexander, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

----------

> I feel I have to reply to this email - I do not know exactly what
> point this
> person is getting at -but would like to point out that there is
> no language,
> dialect or people known as "Scotch".  The language is called Scots. The
> dialects of Scots are called Scots dialects The dialects of English spoken
> here are called Scottish English dialects and the people are called Scots
> with the adjective being Scottish. It intimates to me a deep
> misunderstanding of anything Scottish to refer to "Scotch"

Andy was attempting irony, I'm afraid. Had he but consulted with me first, I
could have advised him to leave that sort of thing to Miss Austen!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: Andy (Scots-Online) <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.02.04 (14) [E/S]

Chris Ferguson wrote:

> I feel I have to reply to this email - I do not know exactly what point
this
> person is getting at -but would like to point out that there is no
language,
> dialect or people known as "Scotch".  The language is called Scots. The
> dialects of Scots are called Scots dialects The dialects of English spoken
> here are called Scottish English dialects and the people are called Scots
> with the adjective being Scottish. It intimates to me a deep
> misunderstanding of anything Scottish to refer to "Scotch"

Chris it was me, Andy, in cynical conspiracy theory mode criticising those
who talk about 'the Scots language' but continue to fall into the 'dialect
trap' and treat our language as if it was some kind of deviation from an
English norm.
If you're interested in 'Scots speakers' using the term 'Scotch' see the
Ulster-Scots Agency' - Apparently the Scots for that is the 'Boord o
Ulstér-Scotch' www.ulsterscotsagency.com/

A wad hae thocht gaun bi the lave o the bit screed it wad hae been plain as
parritch that wis whit wis meant.
[Ron - A howp A didna brak onie 'flamin' rules bi daein thon. Gin A did,
skelp ma lug an A'll no dae it again.]

Andy

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Andy,

> [Ron - A howp A didna brak onie 'flamin' rules bi daein thon. Gin A did,
> skelp ma lug an A'll no dae it again.]

That isna needit, Andy.  Onieway, ye'v likely learnit yer lesson.  Juist
mynd ma "purl o wit" o this mornin:

     “The Internet is like a stage. Make your gestures large enough

     for them to be obvious to people in the back row."

Guidwull tae ye an aw!