LL-L "Maritime matters" 2003.02.06 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 6 22:50:45 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.FEB.2003 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: LL-L "Maritime matters" 2003.01.30 (11) [E]

Hi, Gustaaf, Sandy, Ron,

You wrote (abbreviated):

> From: Gustaaf Van Moorsel <gvanmoor at cv3.cv.nrao.edu>
> Subject: LL-L "Commemoration" 2003.01.30 (07) [E]
>
> Ron wrote:
>
> > That's right.  The 1962 flood (wasn't it in February?) was devastating,
>
> Gustaav:...same flood that indirectly catapulted the
> then not well-known mayor Willy Brandt's career by the ex-
> cellent way he handled the situation?

> Gustaaf
>
> ----------
>
> From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]

>...Well, some time after leaving Orkney for Shetland a
>terrific storm blew up - it's one of those stories I
>tell that's very difficult to get anyone to believe,>
>and I've often only managed to convince someone by
>getting other members of the family to corroborate it.
>I remember standing out on the deck holding on to the
>inner rail (the outer would have been far too dangerous)
>and looking up at waves that rose far above the top of
>the ship, almost like mountains. Actually, they were
>said to be 80 feet high, but being a very real danger
<they looked much more than that!

It was Helmut Schmidt, later chancellor in W.G., Mayorf the city of Hamburg
at that times. Later a chancellor of the Socials, perhaps the best one we
ever had.

Well- it's a strange and fearful feeeling to see the North Sea, the Ocean,
coming into Your house! Absolutely awful- one cannot do anything against it.
It's rolling, it is making special noise, it is a threat coming out th depth
of Your own soul.

But- I always did underestimate the dangers of "just" a flood in the inner
lands, the "upper" parts of some rivers, worldwide.
As we had to experience in last summer, in the southern parts of Germany
(e.g. "Sachsen" and so on), there was alo some incredible strenghth to
destroy buildings, human and animalic life and builded structures.
People hadn't got a chance to escape, oftenly.

Fiete.

-----
"SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES..."
"Iced Earth" (originally W.S., Macbeth)