LL-L "Perceptions" 2003.02.06 (14) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 6 23:28:53 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.FEB.2003 (14) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Perceptions" 2003.02.06 (06) [E]

At 09:55 AM 02/06/03 -0800, Ian James Parsley wrote:
>The same applies to many Western Europeans who head
>over to the USA and comment on how ignorant Americans
>seem to be - stories of them not knowing even where
>'England' is are common. However, these same people
>will also get confused between China and Japan, or
>Ukraine and Armenia, or Australia and New Zealand (or
>even South Africa), and will refer to Barcelona as
>'typically Spanish' etc etc etc.

Yes, and Europeans who refuse to distinguish between "Canadians" and
"Americans".  Of course, some Canadians are very offended at this, but the
rest will agree with the old definition that a Canadian is really just an
unarmed American with health care.

Ed Alexander, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada