LL-L "Software" 2003.02.11 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 11 15:28:46 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.FEB.2003 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Antero Helasvuo <antero.helasvuo at welho.com>
Subject: Software

Dear Lowladers struggling with Unicode,

Some time ago I downloaded the free Mozilla browser e-mail combination
1.3 Alpha version. I have been using it ever since and I must say that
I'm almost overjoyed. While at first glance it seems rather loaded with
properties it's just the opposite of Microsoft applications, where your
first task always is removing the unnecessary and bothersome ones. No
problems with Unicode UTF-8 or any other character code systems any
more. All Lowlands diacritics and Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian etc
show beautifully. If you get "hieroglyphs", just switch the code from
the View menu. Importing the mailboxes from Eudora went smoothly. And
the browser - well, let me tell you: no pop ups any more! I'm the kind
of guy who flies by the seat of his pants, so don't ask me technical
questions. Just visit the Mozilla site:
http://www.mozilla.org/
They have very thorough explanations on most everything you can imagine.
And you can join their development (or build) project and bug hunting if
you have a flair for such things.

Antero Helasvuo
Pitäjänmäentie 35 D 32
00370 HELSINKI