LL-L "Language learning" 2003.02.14 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Feb 18 15:19:17 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.FEB.2003 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Alannah Stepa astepa at shaw.ca
Subject: Language Learning

>From Alannah Sheriland astepa at shaw.ca

Ruud raised a very valid point about teachers teaching "grammar" and the
inability of native speakers to understand sentence construction.
I have had Japanese "sons" for 5 years and have tutored a Japanese hockey
player in Canadian university English for 2. I always encountered the same
problem and think that part of the reason is because the rules for language
are in constant flux, and vary from country to country. My "English" English
grammar is considered incorrect by Canadian tutors, so it is a no win
situation in this respect.

It is very hard to teach correct English when the media, both in print and
live, seem to break every conceivable rule. The only people I know who have
impeccable English are friend who use to be English and ESL teachers in
Russia and the Czech Republic, and are now teaching (Japanese) students in a
small, remote Alberta community.

The crux of this issue is will they be understood and understand verbal (and
written) language. If they are able to function reasonably well that is all
that matters. If we consider that a large percent of the population is
marginally, functionally literate and that we graduate university students
who cannot construct a sentence correctly, these second language students,
if they are learning the language for academic purposes, have the same basic
goals. A couple of my "kids" graduated from a regular college course with
honours and another was pulling straight "B's" at university  and (excuse
me) their English, needs a LOT of work but we can laugh and joke with them
and that is the real test of learning not only a language but a  new culture
with it's intrinsic values.

Alannah
astepa at shaw.ca