LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.02.21 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Feb 21 21:32:39 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.FEB.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
<http://www.lowlands-l.net> * admin at lowlands-l.net
<mailto:admin at lowlands-l.net> * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
<mailto:lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>

From: Mathieu. van Woerkom <Mathieu.vanWoerkom at student.kun.nl>
Subject: Language varieties

Jules wrote:

> My questions (all related):
>
> Is there any region in the Netherlands or Flemish Belgium where people
> cannot pronounce Flemish/Dutch 'sch' properly, i.e. even if their life
> depended on it?

Well, there are. (although all the inhabitants of those regions can also
pronounce 'sch' the standard way, certainly if their life depended on it)

Firstly, in the main parts of Dutch and Belgian Limburg, the 'sch' is
pronounced like German 'sch' ('sj'). The same goes for a small region in the
east of the province of Utrecht, although dialects are really disappearing
there.

Then there is Friesland, which has 'sk' where Standard Dutch has 'sch'. The
same goes for the Twente region (eastern part of the province of
Overijssel). 'Sch' is also pronounced as 'sk' the eastern part of the Dutch
province of Noord-Brabant. I know that there are more (smaller) regions
where 'sch' is pronounced as 'sk', especially in Western Flanders, but I
don't
know much about that.

regards,
Mathieu