LL-L "Grammar" 2003.02.27 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Feb 27 20:33:14 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.FEB.2003 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Grammar"

> From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Grammar
>
> I would argue for the case of Estuary English - and
> possibly further afield, that the use of 'of' is
> acceptable. In the short answer to a 'Could you
> have...?' question in Standard British English it's
> 'yes, I could have' (I think in American it tends to
> just be 'yes I could'). The 'have' in this context is
> ever more frequently pronounced as 'of' with a full
> 'o' as opposed to with a schwa. In all other contexts
> the 'have' is pronounced with a schwa - as in standard
> English (could've) - I admit it's non-standard, but
> perfectly acceptable as a dialectal difference.

I would also mention the famous American short story
writer Sherwood Anderson. Although he spent most of his
career as a newspaper editor, and writes his stories in
an excellent formal narrative style, he always used the
spelling "of" for this use of the word "have".

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/