LL-L "Ethnicity & nationality" 2003.01.15 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jan 15 21:50:10 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JAN.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Criostoir O Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.01.15 (04) [E]

Ron,

"Thus, the only thing a
British citizen would lose by becoming a citizen of another country would be
that their great-grandchildren and their offspring would not be considered
British."

Only if their overseas-born children did not activate their British
citizenship, creating a "gap" in the transmission of citizenship. It is
quite possible under the British Nationality Act 1981 for there to be "chain
activation" of British citizenship by the overseas-born for infinite
generations. (For example, A leaves Britain. B is born in, say, Australia
and acquires a British passport and gives birth to C in Australia who also
acquires a British passport. C gives birth to D in Australia who also
activates the citizenship. D gives birth in the same place and E activates
the citizenship, etc. It's almost biblical.)

Until very recently, a small group of about 250,000 British Citizens
(British Dependent Territories Citizens, British Protected Persons and
British Subjects - British Nationals (Overseas) is a different matter) were
not full British Citizens (i.e., they had not right of abode in the United
Kingdom). The Home Office has since thankfully rectified this and they all
now have the same status and rights as de jure "British Citizens" (more so,
in fact, as British Citizens do not enjoy a reciprocal right of abode in
Dependent Territories).

About 11,000 Commonwealth citizens (69% of them from Australia and New
Zealand) enter Britain each year under Grandparent Entry (the so-called
Patrial visa) to live, work and vote, although only about 1,500 of these
stay for the required four years  and become naturalised British Citizens.

But I am going somewhere with this! :)

How many Aussiedler in Germany have proficiency in, or use as a home
language, any of the Lowlands languages (e.g., Low Saxon, Plautdietsch) they
took with them in the 18th Century? All the Germans I have asked here in
Derry (mainly from the Chemnitz area) have said that hardly any Aussiedler
speak their ancestral languages any more, preferring Russian (although there
did appear to be a hint of stereotype to it all).

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

----------

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language Varieties

Criostoir,

Absolutely no malice taken at all! Disagreement is
often a healthy thing. And I hope you get the
opportunity to visit SA soon, a truly beautiful and
fascinating country (my parents live there, actually).

Ron,

What you say is absolutely correct. My last trip to SA
was this last Christmas, and nearly every second
person I bumped into was/had been/intended to be a UK
resident 'to bring home some pounds' - indeed I met
one standing in front of me in a shop who was working
by complete coincidence in my own home town (Bangor,
N. Ireland, pop 40,000)! This would in large part
explain the fascination with the UK - it is actually
relevant to many people in the country at any given
moment.

Although having returned to the bitter cold from the
ideal climate of the Cape, you'd wonder why any of
them would ever consider coming here, dodgy currency
or not!!!

Best regards,

=====
Ian James Parsley