LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.07.22 (04) [E/F/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 22 19:46:41 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.JUL.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Stella en Henno <stellahenno at hetnet.nl>
Subject: Language varieties (was Etymology)

[snip]
> Blangenbii: Ick haar mii freuut, wenn Du opp Sater-Freesk aantert haarst.
> Ick heff disse Sassisch' Speeloort all me Leev ne seihn/höört.

As a reply to this: (and Peter already said something about it)
Sater-Freesk (or Seeltersk, as they themselves call it) is a variety of
Frisian,
in fact the only East Frisian dialect still alive ("Ostfriesisch Platt" is a
Saxon dialect
on a Frisian substratum, but is no longer Frisian).
How can this be seen? It shares all the Ingweonic and specifically Frisian
characteristics that it inherited from Old Frisian:
Old West Germanic (OWG) a > e: Säck [sek] (Eng. sack), leet [le:t] (Eng
late)
(Saxon dialects will have "Sack, laat" or something similar), cf. Frysk (WF)
_sek_, _let_.
OWG a: > e: Schäip [sxe.ip] (where e.i derives from [e:]), cf WF skiep, both
from OF [ske:p].
Breaking from "echt" to "iucht" (typically Frisian): WF rjocht, SF Gjucht
(with typical rj>gj change). (right)
Breaking of "ingw" to "jung" (Frisian and East Scandinavian): WF sjonge, SF
sjunge (to sing).
Unrounding of u: + i to e:, u+i to e:  WF rêch, SF Rääge [rE:ge] (with
fricative voiced g)
which is related to "ridge" in English (meaning "back" (N), cf. Rücken in
German, rug in Dutch); WF liede, SF läide (from OF [le:da] from OWG
*lu:dian, cf German läuten, Dutch luiden).
Palatalisation of k to [tS] and g to [j] before palatal vowels:
WF tsjerke, SF Säärke (both from OF tszierka) (church), with tsj > s from k;
WF jild, SF Jeeld (from OF jild- , money, cf. Eng yield) with g > j.
Also, there are two forms of the infinitive, a basic one in e or je, and
another in -en or -jen depending on syntactical context, plus weak verbs
in -e (SF sätte, WF sette < OF setta) and -je (WF keapje, SF koopje < OF
ka:pia).
Typical words: SF Fauene (German Magd), WF faam (the same);
SF Bäiden (< *bern), WF bern (child) etc.

This all shows that Saterfrisian is purely Frisian (of course it has Saxon
loans, as WF) and not Saxon. A miracle almost, as it has been surrounded by
Low Saxon for more than 5 centuries (but the swaps around it made Saterland
isolated)..

Peter, hoe bist der by kommen om Sealtersk te learen?
Dyn namme suggerearret datst út Nederlân komst. Hast wolris yn Saterlân
west?
(Dyn antwurd yn it Sealtersk haw ik fanwegen fekânsje mist; soest dy my ris
opstjoere kinne?)

> 't allerbest
>
> Fiete.

Henno Brandsma