LL-L "Etymology" 2003.07.22 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Jul 22 21:48:32 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 22.JUL.2003 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: jannie.lawn <jannie.lawn at ntlworld.com>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2003.07.22 (02) [E]

Quote:
>I would like to Know what were the determiners >like in Old Dutch. I Know
where the form HET comes from, but I would like
to >Know the ancient forms and their declension. Thank you very much.

I learned at school that there were 3 genders, and although masculine and
feminine now both use  the definite article of 'de', (this is c. 40 years
ago), we could often determine which gender a word was by looking at
idiomatic expressions.  E.g. genitive 'der' indicated that the word was
feminine (de kroon der koningin).  And 'des' indicated that it could either
be masculine or neutral, so looking at the definite article (de / het) would
tell us which of the two it was.  This was also the case in expressions
where the word 'ter' or' ten' was used (which is the accusative, or 'vierde
naamval', if I am correct).  'Ten dage dat ...' indicates thet 'dag' a
masculine word is, 'ten' having been created by a fusion of 'te' and 'den',
just as 'ter' was created by a fusion of 'te' and 'der'.  Just like 'zur',
zum', etc. in High German.  It helps if you know a lot of idiomatic
expressions, because they have preserved these forms.

Groeten, Jannie