LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.07.24 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 24 19:57:18 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.JUL.2003 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jim Rader <jrader at Merriam-Webster.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2003.07.24 (03) [E]

> From: Justin Renquist <justinrenquist at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Niederdeutsch dialects (LS) in Hanover aand Vechta?
>
> Hello
>
> We’re planning on hosting a 16 yr old female German student for this
> school year, and I have some questions about her potential linguistic
> background.
>
> She grew up in Hanover, and has lived now for several years in Vechta,
> coming from an upper middle class professional family.
>
> Is it likely that she speaks plattdetusch with friends from school or
> family, and hochdeutsch at other times? Or is it more likely that she
> would have a passive knowledge of plattdeutsch, understanding it, but
> due to her family’s economic class, only actually speaking
> hochdeutsch?

As I recall, the High German speech of Hannover is traditionally viewed
as a pronunciation model in Germany--presumably because it is an
import from various High German dialect regions, with differences thus
leveled out--and has little or no evidence of a Low German substratum.

Jim Rader