LL-L "Language policies" 2003.07.24 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Jul 24 19:59:30 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.JUL.2003 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Friedrich W. Neumann <Fieteding at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language policies" 2003.07.23 (09) [E/LS]

Moin, Reynhard,

You wrote:

> Fiete,
>
> Practicing defence of the good old status quo again, huh?  ;)

> >My (Fietes) posting:..............................
> >
> > I for myself did not learn LS at school- but I did learn it. What has
been
> > wrong in that?
> >  Even- my parents could and did not educate me in it- I just did pick it
> up
> > in the "streets".
> >
> > It could like to stay like this.
>
> How could it be otherwise if the status quo keeps being defended and
> preserved?  Don't you see the circularity caused by the defence of this
> status quo defence argument?  Do I *really* need to explain?
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Ron- of course it's a bad Status quo.

But- the call for new rules and regulations won't change much, I fear.

For example:
my next neighbours, grandpa 80 years, his son 55, both of course native
speakers, I am talking Lowlandic with every day.

But: neither granny nor son ever do talk Plattdüütsch with their
(grand)children, though they love Lowsaxon very much.

There are some things within the heads of people like them You have to
erase- but I fear You will not succeed
in it with any inforcement.

It's hard- but I see Lowsaxon die away within the next generation from the
really living languages.

Regretting Regards:

Fiete.

Not Lucifer I fear,