LL-L "Etymology" 2003.07.28 (04) [E/lS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 28 22:31:31 UTC 2003

L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUL.2003 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
S=Scots Sh=Shetlandic V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Ze굷s)

From: "Mathieu van Woerkom" <mathieu.vanwoerkom at student.kun.nl>
Subject: Etymology

Fiete wrote:

> Today I had a look into the new Swadesh-List with Peter Snepvanger's
> Sater-Frisian.
> I found their word for (E) "water" as "wetter".
>
> I didn't find this or anything similar to it in one of the other
Saxonian
> languages.

Dear Fiete,

the Frisian variety which is featured in the swadesh list on the
Lowlands-L homepage (at www.lowlands-l.net), is not Sater Frisian but
Western Frisian
from the Netherlands (Frysk). All Frisian varieties, including Sater
Frisian, are quite different from the Low Saxon varieties (although they
do share several similarities, of course), that's why their word for water
('wetter') is so different from all the Low Saxon words for water
('water', 'woater' etc.).

By the way, the Sater Frisian word for water is also 'woater', as can be
found in the Sater Frisian dictionary* at
http://dictionaries.lowlands-l.net. (which is unfortunately not yet
finished).

regards,
Mathieu