LL-L "Songs" 2003.03.09 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Mar 9 17:47:03 UTC 2003

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.MAR.2003 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2003.03.08 (02) [E]

At 03:07 PM 03/08/03 -0800, Allison wrote:
>Perhaps you all know this, but the term "gringos" used by Mexicans
>to refer to northwestern Europeans arose from the song "Green Grow the
>Rashes O".  The cowboys were always singing this song.

Nope.  This was discussed several years ago, and I, too, needed to be
disabused of this notion.  The general consensus was that it was a
derivative of the Spanish word for "Greek" <griego>, as in, "it's all Greek
to me".  Here's one of the many transmissions from 1998, where this was
discussed:

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.OCT.1998 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226